March 6, 2007

Kerens - Birthplace of "Big Tex"

Kerens (Central Texas N Hwy 31, 14 Miles E of Corsicana, 67 miles SE of Dallas via I-45) contribution to Texas culture is in the form of "Big Tex," Official State Fair Greeter. Tex started life as a Santa Claus in 1951, and was then bought and brought to Fair Park.

He's been home once (in 1981), which prompted an old timer to exclaim: "Why Tex, you must've grown 20 feet since I last saw you" (info from TexasEscapes.com). Apart from a thriving and busy post office, Kerens appeared to be a virtual ghost town...




Home right off of the main street (N. Colket Ave.)




The Chamber of Commerce





3 comments:

Becca said...

Big Tex is real? Wow that's so cool!

Chris said...

That depends on your definition of "real."

Anonymous said...

I love Kerens and I have heard and seen pictures of this "Larger than life" model since the day I was born. Kerens is small but TRUE to the REAL TEXAS.