February 5, 2007

Radiator Springs

Radiator Springs is a "rural desert town located in Carburetor County on U.S. Route 66, not far from Interstate 40, in the state of Arizona. Radiator Springs was once a bustling community that thrived on the tourism of passing motorists traveling across the country. Once I-40 was built, bypassing the town, the tourists stopped traveling through Radiator Springs, and the town fell into disrepair." (from Wikipedia entry)

Old Route 66

approaching Radiator Springs via Route 66

There is photographic evidence supporting the idea that townsfolk perhaps didn't expect the ultimate result of the construction of I-40:


But despite the tough times Radiator Springs and its residents have been through, evidence was everywhere of a possible turnaround.

the exit sign on I-40 appeared to be new

aerial view, Main Street

Radiator Springs main drag


Glen Rid Motel, now apparently the Racing Museum

Mrs. Piston and Pop n Patch Tire Repair neon




Flo's V8 Café

Cozy Cone Motel


The primary evidence of a turnaround in Radiator Springs was the fact that nearly all of the old neon signs were in perfect condition. Like glittering jewels in the Arizona desert:


Cozy Cone Motel at night

Ramone's House of Body Art at night

Casa Della Tires ("Home of the Leaning Tower of Tires") at night


Flo's V8 Café at night

Radiator Springs Curios at night

Sarge's Surplus Hut neon

view of Main Street neon, via Mrs. Muffler

Main Street neon, traffic perspective

the beautiful, newly refurbished Radiator Springs Drive-In Theater

Plan your own visit, or read about a similar town. Also, there is this really cool Route 66 guide to the “Cars” movie someone put together.

submit to reddit

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe you are the coolest blogger in history!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! Just what I've been looking for. My sister and I are mad about it. Thanks!

Carol Tsiatsios said...

I would like to bring my son, James Victor to Radiator Springs. He watches the CARS movie at least 2x a week since he was 1. He's now 3 and asked me one day if we could bring him to radiator springs. I didn't know it was real. Thanks to your blog.

D said...

Thank you so much this is exactly what I needed. My son is turning 4 and I am going to make the town of "Radiator Springs" out of boxes in our back yard for his party. I needed some good visuals of each building so I could make it as real as possible. Now to find a good close up of the fire house, Doc's and Ramone's

Chris said...

Oh, that'll be neat, D! It ought to be a cool birthday party. Wish I could've helped you out on Doc's and Ramone's.

Anonymous said...

*facepalm*

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/cars-radiator-spring-7392/

That is the only Radiator Springs in the world. Happen to work for the company designing the new exhibit.

Chris said...

Anonymous - if the interest in this post at my little blog is any indication, that exhibit will do really well! People want to believe Radiator Springs is a real place.