February 13, 2008

"Glam Slam"

From the Wikipedia entry:

"Glam Slam" is a single from Prince's 1988 album, Lovesexy. The song has sexual overtones with a spiritual undertone and fits the Lovesexy theme. The song is complex musically, recalling "Life Can Be So Nice" from Parade. It ends with a chorus of strings (played on the keyboard).

Prince recorded a remix in 1991 called "Glam Slam '91" that later was the basis of "Gett Off" from Diamonds and Pearls.

In late 1989 Prince opened a nightclub in Minneapolis named after the song. After eight years of frustration vis a vis its more established rival, First Avenue, he sold it to new owners



Prince with the Lovesexy band outside of Paisley Park Studios (from the 1988 Lovesexy concert souvenir program). Original Revolution member Matt Fink is there (3rd from left), as well as Sheila E. (2nd from left).

4 comments:

Kenna said...

Eeeek! The hair, the clothes. It takes me back to the old "Dance Party USA" days. I had to be home in time to watch it every day. One of the feature dancers was called "Princess", she always did her spotlight dance to, you guessed it, Prince songs. Gett Off, 23 positions in a one night stand...those lyrics still make me blush. What was that Prince concert movie called?

Chris said...

I think I remember that show! Stupid question perhaps, but was that on USA Network? Yes, Prince could get a little raw. I had second thoughts about posting this (I did some major editing of language used in the Wikipedia description), but I loved/love the song's melody, and as usual, Prince plays a cool guitar lick throughout. You must be thinking of Sign "o" the Times. That was Prince at his artistic/commercial/critical peak. It's been downhill for him ever since.

Kenna said...

I'm dying over here, yes, it was on USA Network. I wonder whatever happened to the kids on Dance Party USA....kind of like the dancers who've appeared with Prince over the years. Yes, that was it, Sign "O" The Times. Also my favorite album.

Chris said...

Sometimes those dancers marry Kelsey Grammar. I'm rather partial to Parade or Around the World in a Day.