March 9, 2009

I grock Spock

I don't know about you, but ever since 9/11, I've increasingly doubted any of the "powers that be" are really, actually doing (or are capable of doing) what it is we've all been led to believe they were doing. I guess if I had been an adult during Watergate, these feelings would have fully matured by now. Whether it's "intelligence" agencies, such as the CIA, or other governmental entities like the FTC, FDA, SEC, or FEMA, it seems like no one either knows how to do (or is willing to do) what they are being paid or appointed to do.

Whatever the case, as I watch our economy (and other things) fall apart, I've often wondered where the "grown-ups" are. Or, even better, in total sympathy with Houston Chronicle writer and frequent Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! panelist Kyrie O'Connor, I have to ask: "Where is Spock?!? Barring the return of a "Messiah" or something, I think asking Spock what to do is about the only thing we haven't yet tried. So somebody get Spock on the communicator, then have Gisele Bündchen drop by to see me. These are simple, reasonable requests.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like they say: "God smiles on the drunks and the Americans ..."

Video Zeta One said...

It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want.
--Spock in 'Errand of Mercy'

Chris said...

That would explain how we've gotten along all these years with the apparent incompetence of the people supposedly in charge, Billy. I'd say luck has also been a factor.

Awesome reference, Gilligan! I'm impressed. But I must say that I do in fact want Gisele Bündchen, so I hope Spock was (will be?) correct.