January 30, 2011

Island Relics, part 2: residential structures

There's a two-story Victorian there - can you see it?

Overwhelmed. That's the best word to describe how someone (such as myself) infatuated with turn-of-the-century Victorian architecture feels when down on Galveston. It's easy to become overwhelmed to the point of brain shutdown due to overstimulation. It is remarkable how many of the homes in the Silk Stocking District, and elsewhere, survived the 1900 Storm. After growing up on the Island, and seeing pictures such as these, I'm stunned and pleased to find so many of the old structures still around, and in many cases, renovated and restored. But as is more often the reality, these treasures end up like the Darragh House (its ghost is pictured above). So, let's celebrate those that which have, thus far, survived.


calm gulf morning sunrise
The green, green grass of home

Let me first say I had a list of about twenty-one structures (including those seen in part 1), and I found nearly all of them. Because I have this thing where I sort of "shut down" due to overstimulation on these photography jaunts, I try to wear blinders and ignore anything not on the aforementioned list. But sometimes I just can't help but branch out from my list and snap the other things that inevitably catch my eye. So I thought I'd start this post by showing those places I saw, and (in many cases) have not yet been able to identify:

unidentified victorian on broadway (42nd street)
I hate to say it, but one of the beneficial results of Hurricane Ike is that much of the flora and fauna that prevented viewing of the historic structures in Galveston is temporarily absent. It's as if a great curtain has opened, and these long forgotten homes are once again on stage. I think someone must be fixing this Queen Anne up. This is the Google street view (it's the one on the left, behind the vegetation):


This elevated Victorian cottage is a good example of the post-1900 Storm grade raising:
elevated victorian bungalow

All I know about 1121 Avenue L is that it's a 1900 Storm survivor:
1121 avenue l
1121 avenue l

There were a couple of places along Sealy Avenue that I couldn't ignore and just had to photograph, but I have yet to identify any of them:

1204 Sealy Avenue
, Victorian
1204 sealy avenue

1110 Sealy Avenue, Victorian
1110 sealy avenue

1720 Post Office Street
1720 post office

I've already included this one in a previous post, but I finally got it on a clear, sunny day. And it's so unusual, that I felt it warranted a repost. It's the John Gross House, constructed in 1866 in Greek Revival style, expanded in 1889 in Queen Anne style (the turreted ballroom). It was the summer home of Richard Coke, Governor of the State of Texas, through 1876. The home survived the 1900 Storm relatively unscathed:
the john gross house

Hagemann-Cobb House, c. 1891-1893, Italianate/Queen Anne (Victorian)
hagemann-cobb house

Willis-Moody House (the Moody Mansion), c. 1895, Romanesque
willis-moody house (the moody mansion)
When I was in 4th grade at Island Elementary, Mary Moody-Northern, the last resident of this place (up until 1986), came and spoke to my class about her memories of the 1900 Storm.

Walter S. Davis House, c. 1870, Bracketed Victorian
walter s. davis house
walter s. davis house

Howard Carnes House, c. 1888, Victorian Gothic
howard carnes house
howard carnes house

Clarke-Jockusch House, c. 1895, Queen Anne (Victorian)
IMG_2004
IMG_2007
What a beast!

Franklin-Wandless House, c. 1886, Italianate (Victorian)
franklin-wandless house

Lemuel C. Burr House, c. 1876, Classical and Italianate (Victorian);
architect: Nicholas J. Clayton (tour the inside)
1228 sealy avenue

Gustave Meyer House, c. 1887-1889, Victorian; architect: Nicholas J. Clayton
gustave meyer house

Landes-McDonough House, c. 1887-1888, Romanesque (Victorian)
landes-mcdonough house
landes-mcdonough house
The house reportedly provided refuge to some 200 people during the disastrous 1900 hurricane.

Alexander B. Everett House, c. 1881, Victorian
alexander b. everett house

Edward T. Austin House, c. 1860s
around market

Rudolph E. Kruger House
, c. 1888, Victorian; architect: Nicholas J. Clayton
corner of post office and 17th streets

Isaac Heffron House, c. 1899, Late Victorian
511 17th street

Arthur F. Sampson House, c. 1889, Victorian
arthur f. sampson house
arthur f. sampson houseLook at that!

Mrs. Emma Meyer House, c. 1888, Victorian
mrs. emma meyer house

Thomas Goggans House, c. 1886, Victorian
thomas goggans house
thomas goggans house

William D. Sawyer House, c. 1891, Victorian
william d. sawyer house

George Fox House, ca. 1903, Queen Anne (Victorian)
george fox house

No comments: