June 30, 2008

"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"

From the Wikipedia entry:

Recorded in late 1973 and completed in the spring of 1974, "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" is credited to the Rolling Stones songwriting team Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, although future Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood collaborated with Jagger on it.

The meaning of the lyrics was summed up by Jagger: "The idea of the song has to do with our public persona at the time. I was getting a bit tired of people having a go, all that, 'oh, it's not as good as their last one' business. The single sleeve had a picture of me with a pen digging into me as if it were a sword. It was a lighthearted, anti-journalistic sort of thing."

Released in July 1974, "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" reached number sixteen in the United States and number ten on the UK Singles Chart. The B-side was the ballad "Through the Lonely Nights," which was not featured on any album until the 2005 compilation Rarities 1971-2003.

"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" was promoted by a memorable music video directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, showing the band dressed in sailor suits and playing in a tent which eventually fills with bubbles. This video was one of Mick Taylor's last appearances as a member of the band.


I think it's possible Mick is singing live here. I realize he isn't miked, but the vocal on the performance is different from the familiar one on the original recording.

No comments: