August 13, 2010

In search of Route 66 (journey's end)


From whence I came:

Carrizozo, New Mexico
Vaughn, New Mexico
Santa Rosa, New Mexico
Tucumcari, New Mexico
San Jon, New Mexico/Adrian, Texas/Vega, Texas
Amarillo, Texas
McLean, Texas

Shamrock, Texas


Shamrock

tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
Besides the fact Old Route 66 goes right through the middle of Shamrock, Texas, the draw for me was the Tower Conoco Station/U Drop-Inn. There's a lot more information about it here, but it is a restored Art Deco service station built in 1936. It was later used as the inspiration for Ramone's body shop in Cars. I timed my arrival in town so I could get pictures of it in the sunlight and at night once the neon came on.

tower conoco station tulip tower
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café

IMG_1022

IMG_1023
A recorded Texas Historic Landmark, Shamrock's water tower is supposed to be the tallest one in the state.

tindall's drugs rexall sign

restored magnolia station

building in shamrock

building in shamrock

Good things come to those who wait:
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop inn at night
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café
tower conoco station/u drop-inn café

tower conoco station/u drop-inn café

7 comments:

deniz said...

impressive, as always. never been to the south myself, but I feel like these photos depict its spirit so good it's almost like being there in person.

Chris said...

Thanks, deniz!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful. Neon looks magical.

Patience, ho ho, Patience (Ni Hao, Kai-Lan episode, you know my life)not my strength.

Anonymous because I cant remember password-CMA

Chris said...

Yeah, the blogger commenting thing is a pain in the arse. Even I have to type in a word verification thing, usually twice before it catches.

Amy said...

Late to the commenting party here, but I really love the photo of the Shamrock water tower with the Budget Fuels station in the foreground. Lonely and wonderful.

Chris said...

Amy, I'm happy to have people comment at any time. There is no "expiration date." People will come in via Google searches (for example) and comment on posts from 2005. I'm much less likely to comment back though, as they'll probably not ever return.

Thanks for liking that picture. I was very pleased with the way it came out.

Leigh said...

Wow. Just wow. Bookmarked for visiting anytime I feel blue. It will be a sure cure.