November 29, 2010

"Heigh-Ho"

N'er was there a crueler Monday than the one after a holiday....

"Heigh-Ho" is a song from Walt Disney's 1937 animated film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, written by Frank Churchill (music) and Larry Morey (lyrics). It is sung by the group of seven dwarfs as they work at a mine with diamonds and rubies.

The melodic theme for "Heigh-Ho" might have been inspired by Robert Schumann's composition for piano "The Happy Farmer, Returning From Work" from his 1848 work Album for the Young, Opus 68.
(source)




On a somewhat related note, I knew I was in trouble my first year of teaching middle schoolers, when I, attempting to make some mundane, rote activity we were doing more "fun," played my Disney's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 CD. I was stunned when several of the kids spontaneously laughed at the word "ho" in the song "Heigh-Ho." Oh boy. I should have run then when I still had the chance.

No comments: