April 17, 2009

"Subdivisions"

I seem to remember Rush's 1982 album, Signals having a few negative reviews, people perhaps being let down after the excellence of the previous year's Moving Pictures. I was into reading Creem (among other things) at that time, and there were disgruntled fans, irritated by Rush's heightened use of synthesizers (of course on their 1984 album, Grace Under Pressure, even Neal Peart would be playing electronic drums). I thought it was really cool, and still do. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia entry:

Signals was the follow-up to the successful Moving Pictures. Stylistically, the album was a continuation of Rush's foray into the technology-oriented 1980s through increased use of electronic instrumentation such as keyboards, sequencers, and electric violin. Other noticeable changes were decreased average song length and lyrical compression. The album reached #10 on the Billboard album charts and was certified Platinum (1,000,000 copies sold).

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm definitely not a hardcore Rush fan (I like the popular tracks, don't know any deep cuts), but I have such a visceral reaction to Subdivisions hearing it again (it's been a while). It takes me straight back to junior high. I actually like the increased synthesizer use. It really set them apart with a unique sound - like you said: it was really cool.

My parents didn't get cable until after I left for college, so I never managed to see any Rush videos in the limited exposure I had to MTV. When I saw the lead singer for the first time, I was a bit let down. He's not the guy I had pictured in my head! Oh well.

Chris said...

I'm like you -- I couldn't tell you what the "plot" of the 2012 album is (I do know there's a plot though), but I like their "popular tracks."

Yes, I think the synthesizer is really beautiful in "Subdivisions." As far as Geddy Lee's appearance, he makes all of us other men look soo much better.