March 13, 2008

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

From the Wikipedia entry:

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me is the seventh studio album by British alternative rock band The Cure. Released in 1987, this album put The Cure into the American mainstream, becoming their first album to reach the Billboard Top 40. It was a worldwide success.

It was originally a double album, and was also released on a single CD. The album was made for CD, as Robert Smith wanted to take advantage of the CD's storage capabilities, which was almost double that of a two sided record. As such, this is the first Cure album to go over an hour (approx. 74 minutes), as opposed to the normal 30-45 minutes. In fact, one track, "Hey You!!!", had to be removed from the original album, due to time restrictions on the CD format.

It feels like only yesterday I was buying this on cassette tape, but the promotional videos (released in 1987 and 1988) would indicate otherwise. There were three singles released from Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me:

"Why Can't I Be You?"


"Just Like Heaven"



"Hot Hot Hot!!!"

2 comments:

Kenna said...

The Cure is one of the bands who defined my small town teen experience. My "first" experience with mind altering substances was at a party my freshman year in hs. The video for Jumping Someone Else's Train was on. It made me sick, literally. I was hooked from then on.They were/are a great live act too.

Chris said...

The Cure were big among what we would call the "emo" or "goth" kids today in Galveston when I was in high school. But I liked them too - still do. I'm sure you had an extraordinary, excellent, and exciting time despite that nausea-induced video experience. I think they still tour. Robert Smith is looking just a bit....haggard though.