June 1, 2007

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer

Warner Bros. Pictures via. USA Today

According to IMDb, filming on the live-action version of the classic 1960s anime series Speed Racer begins in Berlin on June 5. The Wachowskis (the team behind the Matrix flicks) are directing and producing. The cast (and what a cast):

Emile Hirsch: Speed
Christina Ricci: Trixie
Matthew Fox: Racer X
Susan Sarandon: Mom Racer
John Goodman: Pop Racer

I'm sure Spridel and Chim Chim will appear, as well. Johnny Depp was rumored to be Speed for a while. I think the current cast could be just about right. This sounds like it could turn out very well. We'll see. I got excited when reading about the plan to do a motion picture remake of Lost in Space. But I loved adored Speed Racer so much when I was a kid, I can't help but be intrigued.


Speed Racer, a.k.a., a demon on wheels

3 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

Can't say I'm excited about the cast (there are a couple I really don't like in there, Hirsch especially), but that is one cool car.

Chris said...

I guess I was mainly suprised that Christina Ricci was connected to it (I guess she needs the work).

The car is awesome. I guess it's a Stingray(?). I would have killed for one of those when I was 6 and 7.

SamuraiFrog said...

I'd kill for one now! Especially if it looked like the Mach 5. Another car to add to my fantasy garage.