July 14, 2006

Neon


Here are various, recent shots I've taken of neon signs, some working, some not, in and around the Nacogdoches area. I'm sure you're thrilled (your life is now complete). Most of these probably haven't worked in years. Maybe I'll do another post with the ones that actually function, functioning. I took this first one yesterday, and it was the impetus for this post:

Tyler

Crockett

Kilgore

Nacogdoches

Crockett

Tyler (isn't that Halliburton's mission statement? "Liberty...for sale!")

Lufkin

Kilgore

Nacogdoches

Tyler

Kilgore

Nacogdoches

Tyler

Nacogdoches

Brenham

Center (opened in 1926 as the SHELBY. Soon after, the theater was renamed RIO, largely in part due to the cost of neon lettering at the time)

Nacogdoches

Tyler

Kilgore

Crockett

Nacogdoches


Other neon posts:

  • Neon nights 'n' Nac

  • Another look at Lone Star Feeds

  • SFA Theater

  • Lone Star Feed

    There'll be more.
  • 5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Well I don't know if they make my life complete, but I sure do like them.

    -Lisa

    Anonymous said...

    Just thought I'd mention that Bill Miller, Sinatra's longtime pianist, died the other day at 91. He was playing piano for Sinatra Jr. up until the week he died.

    Chris said...

    Thanks, Lisa! But I was sure seeing them would be a revelation in people's lives...

    I can't believe I didn't see anything about Miller's death in the news. Suntan Charley. It's too bad. I'm sure the Sinatras were very saddened by the news.

    me said...

    Love 'em. What an awesome little building with that big silver star.

    Chris said...

    That would be the old Texan Theater, f. The longhorn logo seems to represent the University of Texas (Longhorns), but the color is very much Texas A & M's (the Aggies)....It's a Texas football rivalry thing.