June 28, 2006

Atticus Finch had a potty mouth

On July 6, I will have been blogging for exactly a year. It has been an interesting experience. The best part, beyond any doubt, has been the people I've "met," and the contacts I've made by communicating via email and/or comments. Why do this (blogging) if your published posts simply go off into an empty vacuum (I feel most of the time like that's where mine go)?

But I figure if there is good content, someone eventually might find something they're searching for, or interested in, through Google or other search engines. So even if posts float off into space when released, at least they're still "out there," as part of the web.

Someone emailed me yesterday with some cool pictures and information about Sinatra and the Chrysler Imperial endorsements he did back in the early 1980s. This person found Exquisitely Bored via a Google search for "1981 Chrysler Imperial," one of the results being my "Sinatra pushes the Chrysler Imperial" post.

From his email to me:

I live in Windsor, Ontario, where the 1981-83 Imperials were made and in Aug. 1980 Frank and Gregory Peck came here with their wives to the Chrysler plant to help Iacocca introduce the car...Lee gave each of them an Imperial. About two months later, Peck called Iacocca and told him to come and "pick up his piece of sh*t", because he was having so many problems with the fuel injection system and the non-closing moonroof (I knew they were crap!).

Supposedly though Sinatra's widow still owns his Imperial. Iacocca would go on to send Frank a new Chrysler model every year, but he usually then gave them away to charity.

If not for this blog, I probably would have never known about any of that. Here are pictures of the Sinatra Edition Chrysler Imperial the emailer owns:

I have attached some photos of my 81 Sinatra Edition originally bought in
Evansville, Indiana. It has 20,000 miles on it and runs like a charm.


I'm not a car guy, so this is the really sweet part of the deal. His email continues:

The buyer of this edition also received a set of sixteen Sinatra cassettes in two holder trays that would fit into the special floor counsel, and came in a specially made Mark Cross carrying case and dust bag. The cassettes in my set are all still sealed.
Awesomeness

Only 517 Sinatra editions were made in '81 and '82 between the U.S. and Canada. All Imperial buyers also received a special Mark Cross "thank you" package from Chrysler that included a Cartier key blank, key fob, umbrella and portfolio. Such a shame so few were bought back then. They are pretty worthless as a collectible automobile even though they are so rare.


Thanks, Windsor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts do not go unread! I am sure there are many of us who take a pause in the action of our exciting and stimulating jobs (ahem) and come to visit you and your wonderful site. You are nostalgic and reminisce about the same things I do, and that many "tail-end" boomers probably due. I have shopped at the "Smart Shop" in my grandmother's small Texas town every summer for school clothes, and I miss the "glamour" of those old movies. You make my day many days!

Chris said...

I shouldn't have said anything. I have an overinflated sense of self. I do have a job, though not currently. I'm a teacher. I'm glad you have time during your day to stop by my little endeavor!

Anonymous said...

I meant my little aside to illustrate just how exicting my job is. I swear I could do it in my sleep. I knew you were a teacher.

I admire you for being able to be so creative AND work. I have three teenagers and any creativity I have left is used up in trying to understand and keep up with whatever is going on. I hope I survive.