May 30, 2006

Nicolas Cage in Ghost Rider

Nic, baby, that is not a practical way to deal with your male pattern balding.

The Ghost Rider movie staring Nicolas Cage as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider has a new trailer:
There's lots of negativity about this film already, but I think it looks like it might have some potential. I doubt it could be any worse than most of the recent comic book movies such as this, this, this or this.


When idiotic things like X-Men: The Last Stand (I've not seen it, but I don't have to to know it is tediously lame, loud, and stupid) become the biggest Memorial Day holiday opener ever, you can't blame the people who keep cranking them out from cranking them out.


So Ghost Rider is Nicolas Cage's entry into the superhero genre. Cage is an interesting actor, and he has had several interesting roles. He's also been in some of my favorite movies. To this day, I can't help but think about

when I see him in his movies now. When his career began, it looked like he was going to be strictly a quirky character actor, in parts such as
or

"What do you faggots want?"

Cage is so good as an actor and likeable as a person that his presence raises the quality of something mediocre, like National Treasure (the thinly veiled attempt to capitalize on the Da Vinci Code craze of a couple of years ago). In fact, in light of the film version of The Da Vinci Code being released (it would have been a much better movie had I not already known every nuance of the plot), National Treasure suddenly looks like a much better film! That's irony!! I thought it was a good, fast-paced movie to begin with. Very rarely is it dull, unlike The Da Vinci Code. And it looks like National Treasure 2 is being made...



I'd still like to see him play Pete Townshend.

2 comments:

Phillip said...

Wow, that trailer actually looks pretty good. I like that they split the difference between what was cool about the 70's original and the later redesign. I'm actually interested in a Nicholas Cage movie! That's rare.

Chris said...

It can't be any worse than Daredevil or Catwoman or Elektra or Fantastic Four!