May 21, 2006

The Arab world loves Lionel Richie?


Lionel Richie : the Arab world :: David Hasselhoff : Germany

"American Pop Star Is an Iraq Obsession"


Some select quotes from the article link above:

  • Grown Iraqi men get misty-eyed by the mere mention of his name. "I love Lionel Richie," they say. Iraqis who do not understand a word of English can sing an entire Lionel Richie song.

    I can't do that.

  • He has performed in Morocco, Dubai, Qatar and Libya. There is obviously something up there. The more we talked, the more he theorized as to the reasons his music might be so popular here. He thinks it is because of the simple message in his music: Love.

    I would guess his popularity is due mainly to something superficial, like his face, or the way he shapes his beard and mustache. Due to his skin tone, he must look like many Arab men want to look.

  • When I told him his daughter wasn't nearly as big as he is here, he said, "I'll be sure to tell her that she needs to work harder."

    What is it he thinks she does that should could "work harder" at doing. I mean, WTF? Does she have a job?
  • No comments: